The University of Limerick has a number of scholarships that it awards regularly and values highly - but they are few in number. Too few by far.
UL needs far more academic scholarships and sports scholarships, as well as bursaries to enable enhanced access to the University for those with disabilities or from disadvantaged backgrounds. Scholarships are needed for both undergraduate students and for those undertaking postgraduate research.
Scholarships are required:
- for students undertaking research masters degrees leading to doctorates,
- to reward excellence in specific academic areas,
- to help attract international students,
- to assist our sports men and women toward excellence,
- to help people from the many counties of Ireland to focus on the opportunities available at the University of Limerick.
Bursaries can also be extremely valuable to individuals seeking to go beyond the expectations that others may have of them, or that they may have of themselves. Bursaries are needed to:
- help sports stars of the future focus on their chosen discipline,
- to help people with specific learning difficulties,
- to assist people with very limited means as they come to University from backgrounds that do not offer support or resourcing assistance.
Scholarships or bursaries may be endowed and named in perpetuity, named and provided for a set period of time, or provided on a “once only” basis. The Foundation ise happy to discuss these matters with prospective benefactors. Contributions of funds towards scholarships and bursaries are also very welcome, and toward other areas of need that benefactors may choose.