Founded in 1919 by Michael F Kent, MF Kent began as an electrical contracting business based in Clonmel, Co. Tipperary. The company expanded rapidly during the 1970s and 1980s as it upgraded the Irish telecommunications network. In 1987, it was acquired by Gus Kearney, its general manager, who expanded operations into Singapore, Spain and Africa. The company was sold in 1994, subsequently changing it's name to Kentz Corp. Ltd.
The MF Kent Chair in Project Management was established in by Gus Kearney in 1990.